Michael J. McCarthy was admitted to the State Bar of Michigan in 1979. He has been engaged in the general practice of law ever since.
The main focus of his practice has always been criminal defense at both the trial and appellate levels. He has tried many felony cases
in the circuit courts of Southeastern Michigan and in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. He has
appeared before the Michigan Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit on numerous occasions. He
appears regularly before the Michigan Court of Appeals. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. McCarthy received his undergraduate degree, with honor, from Michigan State University in 1975 and his law degree from the University of Detroit School of Law, now University of Detroit/Mercy, in 1979. He is a sustaining member of the Oakland County Bar Association and the Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan. In June of 2012 he received the Oakland County Bar Association’s Professionalism Award.
In 2010 Mr. McCarthy served as a coauthor of the chapter entitled Posttrial Motions and Appeals in Michigan Criminal Procedure published by the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. He has presented lectures for the Oakland County Bar Association’s Criminal Law Committee on many topics for the purposes of training new lawyers and for the continuing legal education of established criminal law practitioners.
- State Bar of Michigan since 1979
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan since 1979
- Oakland County Bar Association since 1980
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit since 1986
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan since 2001
- Wayne County Criminal Defense Bar Association since 2010
- Highly Experienced Criminal Trial Level and Appellate Level Representation